We all have to move our contacts to a new phone once in a while, and it’s never quite as simple as we’d all like it to be. Here at Tech Advisor, we’re going to make sure that your contact moving experience is as smooth and simple as possible, so you can spend more time with your feet up over the holidays.
If you’d like a more detailed look at how to set up your iPhone, have a look at our guide here.
How to move your contacts from an iPhone into Google Contacts:
- Find your way to the settings on your iPhone.
- Select your Apple account.
- Select iCloud and enter the iCloud settings.
- Now make sure you have your contacts syncing with iCloud (the slider next to “Contacts” should be green).
- Go to iCloud.com and log in with your Apple ID.
- Navigate to Contacts.
- Select your contacts. (To select all, press CMD+A on a Mac or Ctrl+A on a PC).
- Click settings in the bottom left corner of the screen. Select “Export vCard…”, this will download a .vcf file with your contacts inside it.
- Open your Gmail contacts, and click on “Import Contacts” from the menu on the left.
- Click on “Choose File”. Navigate your way to the .vcf we just downloaded and select it. It should be in your “Downloads” folder, on both PC and Mac.
- Click “Import”, and your contacts will now be available in your Gmail address book.
How to sync your contacts from Google, onto your iPhone:
- Go into your Settings app, and then into “Mail, Contacts, Calendars”.
- Hit “Add Account” on the right, and chose “Microsoft Exchange” from the list.
- Enter the email address of the Gmail account with your contacts attached to it.
- Enter your username and password into the appropriate fields (leave Domain blank).
- Hit the “Done” button at the top right.
- Type “m.google.com” into the server field.
- Active the slide bar next to “Contacts” so it shows green.
- Your iPhone will now automatically sync contacts with your Gmail account.
How to move your contacts from an Android phone into Google Contacts:
- Find your way to the settings, and go to “Accounts and Sync”.
- Hit “Add Account”, select “Google” and tap “Next”.
- Tap “Sign In” and enter your Gmail login information. If you don’t have one, create one and fill in the information as required.
- Now hit “Sign in”, and the device will download the Gmail account’s information.
- Tap “Sync Contacts” and then hit “Finish”.
Now your contacts are synced with your g-mail account, you can now add the Google account on your new phone and your contacts will show there automatically.
How to sync your contacts from Google, onto your Android phone:
- Go into Settings, and then tap “Accounts & Sync”.
- Hit “Add Account”, select Google from the list and hit the “Next” button.
- Enter your Google account details, and tap “Sign in”.
- Your device will then communicate with your google account.
- Tap the check box to the right of “Sync Contacts” to active contact synchronization.
- Your phone will then automatically sync contacts with your google account, and all your previously saved numbers will appear.