The average salary range for those working in the technology industry in the UK and Ireland is between £50,000 and £75,000, according to the Computer Weekly 2017 salary survey.
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
Salary varies depending on factors such as region, job role and number of years in the industry, but a little over a quarter of tech workers receive an annual salary of between £50,000 and £75,000.
Almost half of those in the technology industry with three years of experience or less are earning £35,000 or more, according to the survey results.
The results found 53% of those who have three years of experience or less are earning less than £35,000, and the other 47% are earning £35,000 or more.
Of those who have three years of experience or less, 20% earn between £35,000 and £50,000 a year, and 8% earn between £100,000 and £150,000 a year.
More of those with less than three years’ experience earn between £100,000 and £150,000 rather than between £75,000 and £100,000.
Though there are currently technology skills gaps and tech graduates have high levels of unemployment, many firms complain recent graduates do not have the skills needed to fill empty technology roles.
The average salary for those with less than seven years of experience is £49,012, but as the number of an employee’s years in the industry increases, the average salary levels off, with the average salary for those who have been in the industry for between seven and 19 years reaching £71,012 and the average salary for those who have worked in tech for 20 years or more coming in at £79,064.
Of those who have been in the industry for 30 years or more, a majority earned between £50,000 and £75,000, with the number of people earning this amount at 31%.
A number of roles in technology are currently on the rise, and those who can fill roles such as cyber security experts and data scientists are currently in demand.
On average, those working as IT managers, IT senior managers or developers have more than 20 years of experience in the industry, and more than 40% of those who answered the survey were senior IT managers or IT management staff.
The average salary for developers and architects is £81,242 – not far behind the average salary for senior IT management roles (£102,962).
But IT managers are left behind, with the average salary for this role only reaching £61,839 – less than the average salary for those who have been in the industry for more than 20 years.